A summer vignette ...
vintage photo of my grandparents at the beach,
small bouquet from mom
s cottage garden,
seashore treasures cover the windowsill,
basket overflowing with
things to do in York

I have vacationed in York, Maine for as long as I can remember. My mom would take all five kids up to Long Sands Beach for two weeks each summer. Dad would join us on the weekends. Over the years, we stayed at a few different cottages on Beacon Street that were owned by my mom’s aunt Evelyn who we all called “Auntie.” Our favorite was aptly named “3 Buoys” after my second (or is it third?) cousins
... a set of triplet boys.



Auntie

A little over 10 years ago, my mom bought a cottage up York. We were all excited to create new family memories in our very own cottage by the sea. The fact that we could decorate as we wished was like a tidal pull ... bringing with it many “somethings for the cottage” that over time have been collected like so many shells from the beach.

Here are some of my favorites ...




My mom stands proudly behind her family of five
(plus a handful of my cousins) at Nubble Light.

Bureau paint color: Ben Moore Kittery Point Green



I thought this would be the perfect container
to hold magazines for guests
.

(years worth of Martha Stewart Living ... still enjoyable!)



The cottage has become home to a sea of mermaids
.



This chair painted with Ben Moore Sag Harbor Gray
is from my Vintage Seaside Collection.




Every beach home deserves a handful of sea glass
.



My friend Beth Hylan of Petals-to-Keep
created this piece of art that combines
dried flowers with a vintage map of York
.



Pine-paneled walls and vintage art
set the tone in the boys room.




I couldn
t pass up this painted
metal pail.
The cutie flying the kite
looks a lot like one of my sons.




Bedtime stories




The girls room ... bunnies, fairies, pinks and greens





This framed print looks like mom when she was a girl. The fairy plates remind me of her three granddaughters (the only girls – so far – out of twelve grandchildren!)







A container for the counter and
goodies from the beach ...


And every once in a while, a little design intervention:

a lamp
inherited with the cottage ...




receives a mini make-over
.



Like the patchwork quilts that grace each bed,
Mom’s summer cottage is warm, cozy,
and pieced together with love.



Until next time ... the sun sets on Short Sands beach

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top