I chose this pillow, end table and lamp all from Pier 1
for a recent design project, and later saw the pillow
on the set of the Project Runway All-Star Challenge.


I happily overstuffed myself this past weekend on a large serving of DVR’d design TV ... gobbling up half-a-dozen HGTV Design Star episodes along with a generous portion of the Project Runway season, now being shown on the Lifetime network. I just love watching how other creatives go through the design process. Since the trends in one field will often show up in the other, I liken this overload of TV-viewing to “critical design research.”


I was pleasantly surprised to discover this soft pink ruffled pillow from Pier 1 (which reminded me of the trend-setting design work of last season’s Project Runway winner, Leanne Marshall), displayed on every bed in the women’s sleeping area on the Project Runway All-Star Challenge.

This pillow is one of those great pieces that has the ability to draw a person into a room. It practically invites you to pick it up and “ruffle” it. We used it on my client’s chocolate brown futon in her spare bedroom/office to add a touch of feminine whimsy to this warmly modern space.

Since the room is visible from the front entrance, I wanted to give visitors a reason to walk down the hall to go see it up close. At a recent cocktail party, one of the first guests did just that, exclaiming at the front door, “Ooh, I love that pillow!”

Here are a few more pics from what is turning out to be a very “fashionably chic condo” ...



My client adores zebra prints ... this pair of trays (also from Pier 1) gives her new ottoman an added touch of stylish function. Ottoman and custom sofa from Boston Interiors. My recommendation for art, Verdigris by Elizabeth Jardine, is available at Art.com




Art.com framed print, Seascape by Claude Monet
swells with the colors of her marine palette ...
Benjamin Moore Silver Marlin, Sandy Hook Gray,
Misty Air and Limesickle




A vintage chair gets a pick-me up
with this petite accent pillow from
my Vintage Seaside Collection.




An ocean-inspired vignette ... a silver star pendant casually drapes over a framed photo of a sea turtle (taken during a recent vacation) and is surrounded by a collection of sea-colored glass and gathered shells in a narrow ceramic dish.


Tablescape design with Olive Dish by Sigrid Olsen
as seen at the North Shore Design Show

I recently met designer Sigrid Olsen at the gala event for the NSDS at the Wenham Museum this spring. My client, who attended the gala as my guest, had met Olsen previously during sample sales held at Sigrid’s former clothing design studio. Since selling her apparel business, Olsen has “returned to her roots as an artist and print designer,” and now has a new collection of sea-inspired pottery and art (among other design projects). Check out her new locations in Gloucester, Massachusetts to see more:

Sigrid Olsen Art Gallery
34 Rocky Neck Avenue
ISLA Beach House
77 Rocky Neck Avenue
978.281.1766




And be sure to check back later for more updates on this Fashionably Chic Condo. Coming up next ... coffee table, window treatments, and final touches.


Mirrors that seem to float above her desk are
illuminated by this paper lantern from Pier 1



Did I mention that the best part of working with this particular client is the fact that she is my younger sister? Congratulations, Linda, on your new place!



Photo borrowed from the Wenham Museum
North Shore Design Show: Tablescapes – Album 2 on Facebook


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top